Monday, September 14, 2015

Privacy Issues

Privacy can become a major issue when you have 3 roommates. If privacy is important to you as an individual then having roommates isn't the best idea. You learn a lot about a person's personality through their living habits, I feel as if I know Kaveman extremely well but he and I hardly ever talk. I have had my privacy invaded a few different times while living with my roommates. Each one of them could have been avoided by taking certain precautionary steps.

One of my most unfavorable memories about my privacy being invaded is when my card got declined while on a date with my new girlfriend. My girlfriend ended up having to pay for our dinner, thankfully we're still together. How does this pertain to my privacy with my roommates? One of my roommates friends stole a bank statement from my desk in my room. Unfortunately, I had written my account information on this particular statement. The bank was able to recover all my money from the person because he was caught on the ATM camera, which made it extremely easy for the police to identify him. 

I know that this could have been avoided if I would have never written down my account information on my bank statement. However, I thought I could trust everyone that came in and out of my house. After this incident I learned that is not true. 

Since this has happened, I have taken two steps to further prevent such situations from happening. One, I put a lock on my door that uses a key. Two, I bought a paper shredder for my all my personal documents that contain sensitive information. 

Photo taken by me

The lesson to take away from this: No matter how much you think you can trust someone, always take extra cautionary steps when it comes to your sensitive information. 

3 comments:

  1. Your use of personal stories is great. I like that you give us a real life situation and then tell us how you've handled it. This would be a great lesson for a roommates to heed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your personal stories make your posts more entertaining to read. Explaining what happened and how you handled it is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I just wish this one wasn't true

    ReplyDelete