Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Selecting the Wrong Roommate

For my first post I need to establish the foundation on how I became stuck with two terrible roommates and what I could've done to prevent my unfortunate situation. I say that I am stuck with them because our landlord didn't make us sign a lease agreement because her son ( B-Fresh) lives with us. She trusted his judgement in that he would keep the house in tidy condition. She was wrong.

It started with my old roommate wanting to move back home, due to money concerns. B-Fresh and I were upset that he was leaving but we couldn't convince him to stay. B-Fresh's mother is the owner of the house I stay in, she had mentioned to us that she knew someone that needed a place to live. Fearing that it would be some weird person we didn't know, we sent out mass texts to all our friends asking "we need another roommate. rent is $250 plus about $50 for bills." We got a response from one guy who was good friends with our one roommate who just left. So we made the assumption since those two are friends, they must live somewhat alike and therefore he's a pretty clean and tidy person. The filipino flier moved in within a couple days. 

Marky Mark's first two months were great. He helped with trash, dishes, swept, and cleaned up after himself. I don't know what happened after those first two months but ever since then, he has done everything but help. To this day, it is like trying to get a five year old to help me whenever I ask him to do something. He whines about how hard it is to do the dishes, or how annoying it is that we always ask him to help. B-Fresh and I knew that for our next roommate we needed to get more information on the guy before letting him move in. 

Kaveman came into my life when I was working at Jimmy Johns. He was extremely nice and was always making jokes at work. B-Fresh and I both worked with him at Jimmy Johns for a while before we thought about asking him to move in. We loved his personality but that doesn't mean he would be a good roommate, meaning he would help us with all the chores around the house. We found out that he lived in his own house, therefore we made the assumption that he, the gentle afro-american, knew how to take care of himself and his house. We heard that he was wanting to move out due to where his house was located (by 5th & Topeka). He was more than happy to move into our place, but we realized it was a mistake after the first week. 

The lesson to take away from all of this is: Never move in with someone until you have seen where and how they live. Never make the assumption that they are going to be clean and tidy people just because they are friends with someone who is. 

2 comments:

  1. I love how conversational your writing is. This gives a very good background on your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing good roommates can be difficult. I hope that you have picked roommates that work together to solve issues and disagreements. I like your style of writing in your blog post. It is engaging for your readers.

    ReplyDelete